Length of time of the Mueller Investigation
The Mueller Russia Trump Investigation
The Mueller Investigation began with the appointment of Special Counsel Robert Mueller III on May 17, 2017. This followed
- The appointment of Jeff Sessions as Attorney General by Donald Trump, who stated he would recuse himself from such Russian investigations
- An FBI inquiry into Russian interference in the 2016 United States Presidential Election. There were widespread reports that Russia was supporting Donald Trump's campaign for President.
- Donald Trump firing James Comey as Director of the FBI, after apparent dissatisfaction displayed by Donald Trump relating to the Russian investigation.
This all lead to the investigation being handed over to Acting Attorney General Rod Rosenstein determining that a Russian Special Counsel was necessary. The document stated
- Robert S. Mueller III is appointed to serve as Special Counsel for the United States Department of Justice
- The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confined by then-FBI Director James Comey in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
- any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and
- any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and
- If the Special Counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the Special Counsel is authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters.
The Mueller Investigation Progress
Witch Hunt or Protecting Democracy?
The Mueller Russia Investigation has lead to federal charges being filed against several campaign staffers. Some of these individuals have agreed to cooperate as witnesses. Now President Donald Trump is tweeting his displeasure with the Mueller investigation and has repeatedly called it a witch hunt. Now the President, his administration and Other Republicans are questioning both the cost and legal basis for the investigation.